On 29.10.18 21:07, Raz wrote:
I know that KVM is not running on PI. Probably because it does not
support the GICv2.

Yes, because the PI lacks standard GIC support, unlike most other ARMv7/v8 SoCs out there.

1. is this the case in jailhouse as well, jailhouse requires GiCv3 ?
( In addition to the fact that there is no support for cpu unplugging
).

Jailhouse supports both GICv2 and v3.

I am writing a quality comparison between the two microvisors , so I
have some questions.
2. What is the minimal footprint required by jailhouse.

Not optimised for that parameter yet. The code base is rather small (measure jailhouse.bin), but we usually need to reserve a few MB for data structures (page tables in particular). See the reference configs for arm and arm64. Some could probably use less reservations, specifically if you only have two cells.

3. I read that jailhouse can boot Linux, zephyr and FreeRTOS on real
hardware.  Can I assume it is pure virtualization in all cases ?

Yes, almost pure hardware-assisted virtualization. We intercept only few hardware accesses and emulate details of it, e.g. to moderate the GICD accesses, or PCI config space.

In addition to those mentioned targets, there is ERIKA (http://www.erika-enterprise.com/wiki/index.php?title=ERIKA3_on_the_Jailhouse_hypervisor) and a number of non-public RTOSes: IOW: porting is rather simple.

4. How stable this microvisor is ? Are there any products you can
point out that use it ? Can you estimate what most people use it for ?
virtualizing FreeRTOS ,Linux, zephyr  ?

As this is an open source project, not much of what people do with it is publicly visible. That particularly applies to product use cases. I'm unfortunately not aware of any I can talk about in public. What you will find are SoC SDKs that contain Jailhouse, e.g. http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Processor_SDK_Jailhouse_Hypervisor.

The primary use cases at this stage are real-time partitioning scenarios: Run an RTOS or another Linux (RT) instance aside a standard Linux system. Some people also have use cases in mind (or possibly run them by now) that consolidate a number of Linux boxes with RT requirements on a single, larger machine.

Regarding stability: We did not declare version "1.0" yet, but that is not because the code is not stable enough (I heard from several sides that this aspect is already at "v1.0", if not beyond) but because some interfaces need further fine-tuning. Specifically guest-facing interfaces should be finalized before making them a stable ABI.

HTH,
Jan