> Why did it surprise you at first?

Because it's not what I would have imagined if I wrote the lib. But I like 
it !

> It is my intention to use the upper 7 bits and ignore the bottom one.
> Maybe Wouter's approach is better from a theoretical point of view. I
> choose for this approach because a lot of practical reasons:
> - If an example uses an address with the highest bit set, it is
> obvious (for me) that the upper bits are used.
> - Most of the dozen i2c libs i've worked with use this approach.
> - In the datasheets of slaves, a bit-wise representation of the first
> byte with the address in the upper 7 bits is common.
> - register sspadd uses this same format.

OK, we fully agree on this.

> > Your lib keeps it consistent: only uses/sets a 8bits address. Is that the
> > convention too ? (for instance for i2c eeprom)
>
> Strictly speaking it's a 7 bits address...

OK

> I don't understand your question. 

My question was (kind of): when using i2c address, is it better use 8-bits 
long address (8th bit being ignored) or 7-bits long address ? What is the 
convention ? If think you've answered this in the previous paragraph.

I've only used i2c with two PIC, no i2c eeprom or the like. So when I add to 
register SSPADD, and when I used Wouter's lib, it really confused me: the lib 
wants a 7 bits address, that it'll left-shift and add 0 or 1, while SSPADD 
requires a 8-bits long address.

The fact your libs "understands" 8bits long addresses if, IMHO, far better, 
since it avoid confusion (at least mine).

> But you want to know if I support 
> longer addresses, the answer is: I've never run into a situation where
> 127 addresses is not enough. But if you do, go figure out how longer
> addressing is done and I think you can use the libs without
> modification.

Me too, never had to use longer address (10bits IIRC from I2C specs). 


Thanks for your explanation.
Seb
-- 
Sébastien LELONG
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to