> File: /trunk/include/networking/ethernet_mac.jal (r2437)
> ===============================================================================
>
> Line 26: procedure ethernet_header_create(byte in type, byte in mac_0, byte  
> in mac_1, byte in mac_2, byte in mac_3, byte in mac_4, byte in mac_5) is

ethernet_header_create will no longer require a mac address. it will
use network_remote_mac[] which is filled by ARP.

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> About "type" argument. I understand it's used to specify the last byte of  
> the two-byte ethertype field. First byte is hard-coded to 0x08. "type" can  
> be 0x00 so ethertype = 0x0800 for IPv4 frame (eg ICMP). It can be 0x06 to  
> match ARP protocol where ethertype is 0x0806.

Fixed. I agree, I just hadn't looked up sufficient documentation. I
found this:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers

> Why didn't you allow "type" to be a word and let callee specify the full  
> ethertype value ? ethernet_header_create() is called with named  
> constant "ARP" within arp.jal lib, and with not-so-meaningful 0 value  
> within icmp.jal lib for instance. Does it make more sense to say  
> ethernet_header_create(IPv4,...) or ethernet_header_create(ARP,...) and  
> define const word IPv4 = 0x0800 and const word ARP = 0x0806. It think it  
> would be easier to follow/read the code, and would also allow other  
> ethertype to be implemented (who knows...)

Fixed. Added a constant for IPv4

> Nitpicking... Follow ethernet frame fields order: first destination, then  
> source. this way reader can network_data[0], ...[1], ..., ...[5], and then  
> better understand why you have an offset of 6 to set source address.

Fixed, Nitpicking is good. Thanks.

> Line 49:    if NETWORK_ENC28J60 == TRUE then
>
> Same remark as for NETWORK_LINK_LAYER, if you have multiple ethernet  
> modules, other than ENC28J60, True/False approach won't work anymore.
> File: /trunk/include/networking/network_main.jal (r2437)

I replaced this with a constant in the sample. This also makes more
scene now to the reader. ENC28J60 and other devices have an internal
mac filter, therefore I do not need to do this filter in code. PIC
should only receive packets of it's own mac address, and also
broadcast packets to mac 0xFF_FF_FF_FF_FF_FF

const NETWORK_DEVICE_HAS_MAC_FILTER = TRUE

> Line 71:    if NETWORK_LINK_LAYER_ETHERNET == FALSE then
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  From what I understand, when NETWORK_LINK_LAYER_ETHERNET is False, this  
> means you're using SLIP. If another protocol is implements, this True/False  
> approach won't work anymore (or with a lot of "if").
>
> What about checking NETWORK_LINK_LAYER = ETHERNET / SLIP, that is, checking  
> against some arbitrary constant value ?

Still working on this one. I think I can change it as you suggested,
but it needs some thought :) I'll get some new files up after I fix
this one.

Matt.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to