2011/2/5 vasile surducan <[email protected]>

> Also, on my first tries, there were many many vias, and I tried to have as
>> few as possible. Going that small will mean more vias. Is this a problem ?
>> For instance, PIC's datasheet says caps near xtal should on the same side. I
>> tried to respect this.
>>
>
> of course but you can use as well a SMD crystal on the micro side or on the
> opposite side as well
>

Ye, I found smd crytal not so easy to find and quite expensive too. I found
resonator too, but this may not be accurate enough in some cases.


>
>
>>
>> What about the fuse ? Do you think it's properly positioned ? Since there
>> are many power source options, I can't put a fuse for each...
>>
>
> well, I dislike your style of powering board (JP3 and JP7 both ON by
> mistake could kill your USB)
>

I'm not happy too with this. I thought about this a lot, without good
results as you can see. I could remove external source, thus removing JP7.


> but that is, usually the fuse is protected by the micro or by the
> regulator, however one smd fuse (thermal or breackable) is enough, but I'm
> afraid yours will not protect something...
>

So where do you suggest to put it ? BTW symbol is resettable but I'm
planning to use "real" smd fuse.

Cheers,
Seb

2011/2/5 vasile surducan <[email protected]>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Sebastien Lelong <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi guys,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> So...I'm back, after several tries.
>>>>
>>>> It was possible to keep most features, specifically providing 2
>>>> voltages, 5V and 3.3V. This was quite a mess though, mostly Xbee requires
>>>> 3.3V, and possibly voltage shifter on inputs (datasheet says it's not 5V
>>>> tolerant, but some report it is in reality). So I removed 5V regulation, 
>>>> and
>>>> kept only 3.3V, making this board more 3.3V devices friendly. If Xbee isn't
>>>> wanted, then one would just put an AMS1117-5V instead of 3.3V version.
>>>>
>>>> I worked again on power supply inputs. There can be 4 sources: USB (5V
>>>> regulated to 3.3V), external (5-9V regulated to 3.3V), serial (no 
>>>> regulation
>>>> so must output 3.3V, quite rare), and battery (direct, no regulation). I 
>>>> put
>>>> a fuse after the regulation part.
>>>>
>>>> Since I had some room left, I added a microSD slot, though I still
>>>> wonder how I'll solder it... :) It's on the bottom side. If replacing 3.3V
>>>> regulator with a 5V one, again SD-card won't work.
>>>>
>>>> I doubled shield/breadboard connectors to allow breadboard + shields at
>>>> the same time. User could also solder some wires to plug the board to
>>>> external daughter, using external connectors/holes. Shields can also be on
>>>> top or bottom, both, etc...
>>>>
>>>> I may also add another pin header which would include supplied voltage,
>>>> making it available to shields/breadboard (voltage coming from USB,
>>>> external, ...).
>>>>
>>>> Anyway here's the result, see attached files: schematic, PCB, PCB top,
>>>> PCB bottom (some comments are wrong, sorry).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Feedback appreciated. Highly !
>>>>
>>>
>>>    Your designs looks better and better. However there is HUGE empty
>>> space on your board. Look for example the footbal field between the crystal
>>> and the micro.
>>> When using SMD one of the reason is miniaturization. But your board is
>>> still huge.
>>> You cand do it with only 20% larger than the xbee itself?
>>>
>>> Vasile
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Seb
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 2011/1/30 vasile surducan <[email protected]>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM, funlw65(Vasi) <[email protected]>wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I think you will need to design two boards. One supporting USB uCs and
>>>>>> second for serial uCs. Keep 1206 smd components, otherwise you must
>>>>>> provide the board assembled. And this is because of 5x5mm limit.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Try
>>>>>> to see how many features you can put on a single type of board.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> all you need...
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Vasile
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Jan 29, 6:03 am, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>> > Hi guys,
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > Here's my last version, including a 500mA fuse (not resettable, but
>>>>>> I only
>>>>>> > have this one in my eagle lib), a rectifier diode for reverse
>>>>>> polarity
>>>>>> > protection, onboard LED moved to RC2 (CCP1 pin). Some remaining
>>>>>> "doubts":
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >   - which package would I need for the diode: DO-214AA, DO-214-AB or
>>>>>> > DO-214AC ?
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >   - I still have doubts about the power supply part. Initially, I
>>>>>> wanted to
>>>>>> > have power through USB or a battery. The board should handle 3.3V
>>>>>> and 5V, as
>>>>>> > an option. When using a battery, say 2 x 1.5V AAA cells, I'd need to
>>>>>> bypass
>>>>>> > all regulation (maybe even a pump like this:
>>>>>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9216). Using a rectifier diode will
>>>>>> also
>>>>>> > drop the voltage down and may not be compatible. But I could also
>>>>>> use a 9V
>>>>>> > battery, and thus need 5V and/or 3.3V regulators... and what if 3.3V
>>>>>> is
>>>>>> > bypassed, but not the 5V regulator ? Xbee board will be powered with
>>>>>> 5V,
>>>>>> > instead of 3.3V!!! You guessed it, I want many things and I'm not
>>>>>> sure which
>>>>>> > is most important at this phase. Any input, advices ? I think when
>>>>>> I'll
>>>>>> > start to create the PCB choices will be easier to make as I discard
>>>>>> options
>>>>>> > to gain room :)
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >   - I added pin headers, 2 x 14 pins, I may add another one
>>>>>> dedicated to
>>>>>> > power pins (like in Medium) if I get enough room (I doubt about it)
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > In order to save some precious room, I'm thinking of (high priority
>>>>>> to low):
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >   - removing Reset-via-RTS option and make it always available
>>>>>> (2-way jumper
>>>>>> > saved)
>>>>>> >   - remove two I²C jumpers, always make the board acting as a
>>>>>> master, and if
>>>>>> > not wanted, just don't solder the resistors
>>>>>> >   - remove CTS jumper option (not used often ?)
>>>>>> >   - remove power from serial module option, focusing on USB or
>>>>>> battery
>>>>>> >   - keep only one regulator, adding an optional resistor to match
>>>>>> required
>>>>>> > 3.3V for Xbee when using 5V reg only.
>>>>>> >   - move to 0603 smd components.....
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > Any feedback highly appreciated!
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > TIA
>>>>>> > Cheers,
>>>>>> > Seb
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > 2011/1/25 mattschinkel <[email protected]>
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > > Maybe I should just use two different voltage regulator, one
>>>>>> AMS1117/5V
>>>>>> > > and
>>>>>> > > > AMS1117/3V3. Having only one component would have helped while
>>>>>> sourcing
>>>>>> > > > them.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > On one prototype board I bought, there is only a AMS1117/3V3. They
>>>>>> > > assume you want to input > 5v and get 3v output. If you want
>>>>>> another
>>>>>> > > voltage you can put a jumper (just solder) to connect the
>>>>>> input/output
>>>>>> > > of the regulator so your voltage is whatever the input is.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > Matt.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > --
>>>>>> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>>>> Groups
>>>>>> > > "jallib" group.
>>>>>> > > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>>>>> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>>>> > > [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>>>>> <jallib%[email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > .
>>>>>> > > For more options, visit this group at
>>>>>> > >http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >  jaluino_v03_bee_schematic.png
>>>>>> > 62KViewDownload
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "jallib" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>> .
>>
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>
>
>  --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "jallib" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
> .
>
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>



-- 
Sébastien Lelong
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to