From: Dave Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Andrew Timberlake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mailet API
Date: 22 Apr 2002 16:19:22 +0100

Yep.
Quite true.
However, kind of makes the Matcher redundant if all the Mailets start doing their
own matching.

I kind of like the separation of functionality, a Matcher filters the messages
and a Mailet does stuff with the messages. What I want to add is a way of the
Mailet an Matcher to talk to each other, mainly to share configuration
information.

This came up when I was experimenting with designing some of my own custom
Mailets.
In each case, the Mailet needed to process emails to one or more addresses in a
list or group.
Both the Mailet and Matcher needed to be configured to access the same list of
addresses.

I kept ending up with an odd situation where both the Mailet and Matcher share
the same list of addresses, but they can't communicate directly with each other.

Much like the current RecipientIsLocal Matcher and LocalDeliver Mailet, both have
to use an Avalon lookup to get a reference to the local reporistory, but they
can't talk to each other.

You are right, it is possible to implement using the current API, just a few
extra hoops to jump through.
The proposed change would just make it a little easier to design Matcher and
Mailet combinations.
If it causes too many side effects, then it isn't worth it.

Thanks,
Dave