Rich,
IMHO this..

> I aspire to program and offer a service, a service which
> eliminates spam by forwarding messages from unknown senders
> only after those senders have posted bond with a
> micropayment.  So I need to insert my functionality in the
> midst of the process of forwarding.

.. should be achieved using mailets and matchers, the best thing to do is to
get your head round their configuration, and the mailet API.

There shouldn't really be any need for you to greatly understand how james
contains mailets if you understand how to use the container, it should hide
low level mail handling, and mailet instatiation from your specific process
logic.

Check out matcher and mailet code in org.apache.james.transport.mailets, and
mess with ~/james/apps/james/conf/config.xml to see the effect of changing
mailet/matcher & processors to build new flows and behaviour.

d.