> James SMTP is able to stand this load only for about from 10 to 15 minutes
> and when it crashes with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

Try running with the -server java option, this solves a similar problem on
busy Tomcat applications.

The next thing to do is check James code to make sure that objects who's
life is over are explicity destroyed as soon as possible, so that the more
aggressive garbage collection of the -server JVM will free their memory
asap.

(what JVM are you using, I'm assuming Suns 1.4)

d.