Danny,

>>Either way, you could have you external app do 1 thing or a hundred
>>things, so long as they ultimately tell you how they modified the
>>MimeMessage and any adjustments made to the recipient list.
>>

>Absolutely, thats exactly what I had in mind, an AJP mailet.
>.. But also a receptor that would create a MIME message and insert it into
>the spool, although it would probably make more sense to expose a spool
>entry point via RMI and provide a utility method that would create simple
>pre-defined MIME messages from strings, like

There is no need to use anything as cumersome as RMI.  We (in
Avalon-Excalibur) have developer AltRMI which allow publishing via
normal interfaces (no extends remote, no throws RemoteException, no
extends UnicastRemoteObject).  There is also as SOAP publisher (that
uses Glue) if you want to interoperate with other languages...

- Paul