Noel,

RFC 2821 section 3.8.4 applies to gateways. My point (2) refers to MTAs
acting as a relay.

>From RFC 2821 section 3.7, Relaying...
"As discussed in section 2.4.1, a relay SMTP has no need to inspect or
act upon the headers or body of the message data and MUST NOT do so
except to add its own "Received:" header (section 4.4) and,
optionally, to attempt to detect looping in the mail system (see
section 6.2)."

I was wrong in as much as there is no optional element to this. According to
the RFC, a relaying MTA should never act as an Internet Message format cop.
It shouldn't even be inspecting the headers, let alone rejecting a message
due to their content.

The case of fetchmail et al. is interesting. Mail fetched from a POP3 or
IMAP server is NOT Internet mail as defined by RFC2821 as POP3 and IMAP are
a foreign (non-SMTP) systems. Nor is an MTA configured to fetch mail from a
POP3 or IMAP server an SMTP gateway >>> as long as the fetched mail is
delivered locally <<<. According to the RFC, the server is acting as a
gateway only if it is injecting mail into the internet, that is, delivering
remotely over the 'net.

One of the modifications I have made to fetchmail is to have the default
configuration reject mail not intended for a recipient in a local domain.
The original reason for doing this was that mail served by POP3/IMAP servers
has arrived on them because they are the local delivery points for the
domain(s) being served. Fetchmail is simply acting as a POP3/IMAP client
that happens to have some very powerful mail tools at its disposal. They
should not be used to deliver the fetched mails anywhere but locally.

We now have a second reason for this restriction. Doing otherwise would
create an SMTP gateway. There are circumstances when it is impossible to
fulfil the rules for a gateway as specified by RFC2821, such as we are
unable to correct invalid originator fields. If we can't guarantee to lay by
the rules, we shouldn't enter the game.

Hopefully this clarifies the responsibilities on James when acting as an
SMTP relay and why a fetchmail configuration is not, and should never act
as, an SMTP gateway.

-- Steve