for starters, i would suggest a '2b' for *IX users:

/*
2. Extra the gz or zip file to a local directory.
2b. (IX users) Make run.sh and phoenix.sh executable (`chmod +x ruh.sh phoneix.sh`)
3. Start bin/run.sh (unix) or bin\run.bat (windows) You will see something like the following:
*/

also -- this may be kind of beyond 'quick starting' --, but for those users trying to setup forwarding MXs, etc. you may want to expand #7 to include MX record evaluation from a 'local' perspective. for example, on an *IX box `host -t mx foo.bar` (`nslookup -q=mx foo.bar` on NT) will list all the MXs for the domain in question *as seen by that box*. it may sound esoteric, but i have seen a number of problems float by the list because of DNS assumptions (it is not uncommon for a mailserver to be have multiple identities).

Serge Knystautas wrote:
I don't think James has a very detailed quickstart guide, so I started to put together one (if we already have one I wasn't aware, then so much for my lunch break).

<http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesQuickstart>

If anybody has the time/interest to help complete this, catch my typos and huge gaps, that'd be great! Like Noel said, I think James is one of the easiest mail servers to start, but this can hopefully help.

When this is a bit more complete and certain, we can link it from the home page and eventually turn this into an xdoc to include with the distribution.