From: "tobe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "James Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: Unsupported charater set

I should have added that I am assuming that the mailet handling mailing
lists creates new MimeMessages, which would then presumably have this
effect of changing the character encoding to Cp1252 on a Windows box.

The same problem might possibly occur with other mailets if they create
a new message.

/tobe

tobe wrote:

I found that problem with Cp1252 when I was experimenting with
JavaMail (the jar included with James).

It seems that JavaMail assumes that the character set to be used when
operating on Windows should be Cp1252, because that is the encoding of
files on the system (at least according to the Java System property
"file.encoding").

This can be fixed by setting the System property "mail.mime.charset"
to "iso-8859-1", I am not clear on what the side-effects would be. You
could also set it (e.g. in James list-handler) for just the current
javax.mail.Session.

Actually, this seems a bit arbitrary because usually text is in the
form of a java string that has to be extracted (recoded) to an 8-bit
charset anyway.

If your Windows system is actually using iso-8859-1 for its textfiles
as well, you should probably change the System property
"file.encoding", but these are murky waters for me.

See http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/1.3/docs/javadocs/index.html
(the class MimeUtility has the note on this)

Really funny that Outlook should complain that the Cp1252 charset is
unsupported because it is a windows-specific one. Perhaps its name
should be "Windows-1252" (that is what Mozilla calls it). Perhaps the
windows charset should never be used in e-mail. Someone want to tell
Sun about this?

/tobe

Marc de Oliveira wrote:

a) The problem that I am adressing is not isolated to the the subject.
Outlook users recieve the body text as an attached file.
b) I don't think that the mail is preserving a character set that was
defined on my client because two different character sets are used
depending
on whether I am sending through a list or directly to a receptor.
- Marc