this may sound kinda dumb, but aren't we just talking about a webmail client for what you want to do here? is the need to have a local client a requirement or a preference?

Serge Knystautas wrote:
David Schwartz wrote:

Unless you have some fancy authentication happening with your email,

Was planning to use SSL.
Jsp interface. I would log in using the email account username &
password. If they don't match the user can't send email.
The page would not be open to the public.

Would that work?

No, that just authenticates the application, not the sending message.

Are you actually distributing javamail.jar and activation.jar with your applet and doing the SMTP commands from the applet? Maybe in the newest Java plugin it would work, but javamail didn't use to work in applets because of resource loading issues in the jar.

If you are, this is kind of tough. Off the top of my head, you could either require SMTP AUTH in your mail server, and send that username/password to your applet secure (over SSL should be fine I suppose).