A question. In using words like "shinjiru" (to believe in sthg.), would 
it be better to say, for example, "Sono dôtoku WO shinjiru" or "Sono 
dôtoku NI shinjiru" [I believe in this morality.]? 

I remember reading in "JAPANESE GRAMMAR" by Hamano Shoko that, whereas 
something like "Karera wo waratta" means "I laughed AT them", "Karera 
ni waratta" means "I laughed with them". Also, "Kanojo ni mimashita"  
[I saw her (and had a chat)] vs. "Kanojo wo mimashita" [I happened to 
see her (but did not talk to her)]. The use of "wo" implies that the 
object received the action, but the subject was not involved, while the 
use of "ni" implies that the object received the action and the subject 
was involved.

- Arian I.



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to