I had a similar problem - I had some reports where user could choose
whether he wants to group rows (by 1 or 2 fields fields that are part
of a result set row) or not.

In case grouping is enabled, headers have to be displayed for each
group (with sums and other calculations), and in detail section, the
column that displays the field (that has been choosen as grouping
criteria) must not be displayed, and its space must be used by other
columns in the row.

I solved this by having mutliple text fields for the same field in
detail section, but only 1 was displayed, using printWhenExpression.
The printWhenExpression condition was dependent on how many fields
were marked as 'group fields' - required grouping.

Example detail section:
A, B1, B2, C are text fields.
_____________________
|__A_|_B1__|___C______|     (detail row needs to look like this when
no groupingis  selected)

_____________________
|___B2____|____C______|    (detail row needs to look like this when
grouping by field A is selected (information about field A displayed
at group A header))

Text fields A + B1 share the same detail section space as B2 (they are
over each other)

B1.printWhenExpression is something like
new Boolean(!$P{groupByAEnabled}.booleanValue())

B2.printWhenExpression is something like
new Boolean($P{groupByAEnabled}.booleanValue())

I'd say that this is a good solution for cases where you have a
relatively small, fixed set of textfields and choices.Its main
advantage is that it allows you to edit the whole reports with a
graphic tool, and avoid jrxml generation at runtime.

--
Why?
Because YES!