BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Hi,

I am having ongoing problems relating to servlets and user information.

I am running Apache 1.3.12, with Jserv 1.1.2, with JDK 1.2.2 on
Redhat linux 6.2.

I have a servlet which takes a user's information and verifies it in the
database and when correct it sets a cookie on the user's computer with
the
person's associated customerid with our company. This cookie is
then checked for when other applications on our site need customer
information.
The value from this cookie is used to access the database again in
other servlets to retrieve further information from the web site.
When passing information around in a servlet while it is performing its
job for a user, I am using an instance of a specific helper class for
that
servlet and passing it about, rather than setting class wide variables
for
the servlet. We are getting member complaints that sometimes they are
not
viewing their own information. This means that for some reason the
servlet
is not reading their cookie but someone else's cookie. Either that or
instances
of the helper class that are being instantiated inside a service(),
doGet() or
doPost() are being confused with other instances when the servlet is
being hit
from multiple users at once.

I used to have some of the common information from the database stored
in sessions
but the problem was even worse, because the session tracking was done by
cookies
and the wrong cookie would be retrieved somehow and then the wrong
information would
be retrieved from the session. Or, again it might be the instances of
the helper
class getting confused.

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks

Chris

(PS I have even upgraded versions of the JDK while this has been
happening, to no
avail).

--
Chris Cheshire