BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Try using application/x-java-serialized-object instead of
application/octet-stream.

- Fernando

BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Hello All,
I need some help in solving this problem and I appreciate any messages in
this regard.

I am using Applet Servlet communication by http in my project. I was able
send the data from the servlet to the JApplet, but when I try to send new
data from the applet to the servlet I am getting the following exception in
the java console of Netscape:

java.io.IOException: The document contained no data.
Try again later, or contact the server's administrator.
* at netscape.net.URLConnection.connect(Compiled Code)
at EmpListApp.sendObject(Compiled Code)  at
CreateAndManageEmpList.saveBtn_actionPerformed(Compiled Code)
at CreateAndManageEmpList$12.actionPerformed(Compiled Code)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Compiled Code)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Compiled
Code)  at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Compiled Code)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Compiled Code)  at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Component.processEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Container.processEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread$EventPump.dispatchEvents(Compiled Code)  at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)  at
netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$AppletEventDispatchThread.run(Compiled
Code)

In the error_log file of Apache this is the error shown:

java.io.StreamCorruptedException: Caught EOFException while reading the
stream header
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(ObjectInputStream.java:727)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.<init>(ObjectInputStream.java:165)
at CreateEmplistsServlet.doPost(CreateEmplistsServlet.java:57)
at CreateEmplistsServlet.doGet(CreateEmplistsServlet.java:43)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:499)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:588)
at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java)
at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

I am using the following code to send the data to servlet:

String urlString = getDocumentBase().toString();
     urlString = urlString.substring(0,urlString.lastIndexOf("/")+1)+
                                       "servlet/"+servletName;
     URL servletURL = new URL(urlString);
     URLConnection servletConnection = servletURL.openConnection();
     servletConnection.setDoInput(true);
     servletConnection.setDoOutput(true);
     servletConnection.setUseCaches(false);
     servletConnection.setRequestProperty("Content-Type",
"application/octet-stream");
     servletConnection.connect();
     ObjectOutputStream outputStmToServlet =
           new ObjectOutputStream(new
BufferedOutputStream(servletConnection.getOutputStream()));
     outputStmToServlet.writeObject(objToBeSend);
     outputStmToServlet.flush();
     outputStmToServlet.close();
   }

Thanks for your time.