On 29 Mar 2010, at 07:45, Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com> wrote:

Of course introducing the idea of updates also introduces the notion of a
primary key and there's probably an entirely separate discussion to be had
around user-supplied vs Lucene-generated keys.
Not sure I see that need.  Can you explain your reasoning a bit more?
If you want to update a document you need a way of expressing *which*
document you are updating.

This already works somehow for 'deleting' documents?

Yes, the convention being user-supplied keys. The question posed is if we add
another use case where keys are required do we want to turn this existing
informal convention into more formalized support the way databases do eg
duplicate key checks on insert, auto-inc primary key generators.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785