Agree.

However I don't see how lucene could suddenly change that even a
conversion tool is impossible to create.
After all it's all about terms, positions and frequencies.

Yeah..some additions as payloads may appear, disappear, or evolve into
something new, but those are on user's side anyway.

Analyzers indeed are delicate problem so when StandardAnalyzer(which
probably 90% of users use) for same string generates different set of
terms.
But again it's user side problem.
Nothing stops him to rip StandrardAnalyzer from whatever version of
lucene, adapt it to newer indexing API, plug it in and continue.

I already use > 50% customized analyzers, my own query parser and so on.
I have junits for (hopefully) all cases I need to cover, so if new
Analyzer misbehaves, it's my responsability.

Danil.