From: Baqar Naqvi <baqar_gr...@hotmail.com>
Sender: java-ee-j2ee-programming-with-passion@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 08:22:02
To: <java-ee-j2ee-programming-with-passion@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [java ee programming] Delegate and DAO layers with EJB 3.0

We are designing a simple web application, and have decided to use EJB 3.0 in
it. We will use JPA for persistence with the session facade patterns. As I
cannot discuss the application's business I have mentioned the relevant
patterns that are being used.
Given this I am trying to figure out the usefulness of having a Delegate layer
to invoke the session beans. Since resource injection (using annotations) will
only work if the calls are made from container managed classes/components, it
will cannot be used if I use a delegate layer. In the past this layer has been
used for JNDI lookups and exception handling. Do we still need this layer ? If
yes, what could be the benefits of having it.
A similar situation arises when we consider using the DAO layer. The
annotations on the methods controlling the transactions will only work on the
Entity class not on the DAO class. Again should we have a DAO layer, but if we
do we will not be able to use annotations. Also if we ignore the DAO layer both
the mapping to the database and the different queries will be cluttered in this
class. So, given this what will be a better option to avoid using annotations
and have a DAO layer or avoid a DAO layer?
I am also open to other alternatives regarding these two layer.
Looking forward to your responses.
Thanks,Baqar