Alf,

>>> I am attempting to create a java applet and I get:-
>>> java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java
>> <AFAIK>
>> java, javax, and sun are among the package names reserved for the virtual
>> machine.  In order to prevent a trojan horse attack, users cannot add or
>> detract from these namespaces.
>> </AFAIK>
> I fixed this by moving the class to the same directory as the shtml.
> Surely this is wrong and I should be able to place the class in a
> subdirectory below where the shtml lives?

<HINT>
If moving the class allowed it to be found, then I suspect that the
class nor package was named 'java'.
If moving the class allowed it to be found, then I suspect that the
browser (and/or your personal) CLASSPATH is misconfigured.

It is likely that the browser configuration restricts the directories
available to shtml, and therefore to java applets addressed from
shtml.  This would be normal security policy to prevent imposture
via the web server.

In either case, you seem to have removed the problem from a strict
java issue to a system administration issue.  I suggest that
you ask your system administrator for help, of if you are the system
administrator, examine your CLASSPATH and browser configurations.
</HINT>

Hopefully helpful,
--
Dr. Robert Meier