My issue turned out to be a simple matter of CPU exhaustion after all.

There's something funny with the threads on 2.6 kernels and procps (at
least the one in Debian Sarge) in that top will only show the parent
process and not show any of the threads. Therefore the CPU was actually
much busier than one would think by looking at the process list in top.

Thanks very much for your help though.
  Dave