Peter,

Thank you for the pointer to RXTX.

I have made progress but am still a newbie.

I have successfully built and run nulltest.java,
  which sends a string to /dev/ttyS0 and simutaneously reads from /dev/ttyS0.
With a short from TX to RX, it reads the same string written, "Hello, world".

My success is limited by the fact that I don't understand much of the
  configuration.

When I googled for java.lang.VerifyError encountered, I found a cookbook fix
suggesting the use of -noverify.  -noverify appears to be undocumented by
java -h, or man page.
  What does 'java -noverify' mean?

I am using netbeans-4.1 but have been unable to view the RXTX source.
  I have tried using [Tools/Library Manager]
    I was able to add RXTX as a library and add its jar file under [Classes].
    Though I have added under {Source] its jar, source zip, expanded src
      directory, and parent of the expanded src directory, it fails to
      find the source.

  How is source linked into netbeans?
  What is the expected layout of the jar/folders added via library manager?
    *.java at top level?
    src/*.java?
    gnu/io/*.java?
    src/gnu/io/*.java?
    ???
  netbeans reports no errors, but finds no source.

I currently have the .jar and .java files of the jre under /opt/jdk/jdk-1.5.2/
  at varying depths as installed by default, and have placed
  /opt/java/RXTXcomm.jar .

What is the conventional (and presumably manageable) layout of java source,
  libraries, and javadoc.
  /opt/java/*.jar?
  /opt/lib/lib*.so?
  /opt/share/java/*.zip?