Administrators,

What directory organization
is used for easy maintenence and use of the jvm and associated libraries?

I am using java-1.5
  and netbeans.
I expect soon to upgrade to java-1.6 .
I wish to make jscience-3.3 available for use.

What have people found useful?
[For example]
     /opt/java-1.5/jre/rtl.jar
     /opt/java-1.5/src/lang/Object.java
     /opt/jscience/jscience-3.3/jar/units.jar
     /opt/jscience/jscience-3.3/doc/src.jar
     /opt/rxtx/rxtx-#.#/lib/librxtx.so
     /opt/java/jar/rtl.jar -> /opt/java-1.5/jre/rtl.jar
                   units.jar -> /opt/jscience/jscience-3.3/jar/units.jar
     /opt/java/lib/librxtx.so -> /opt/rxtx/rxtx-#.#/lib/librxtx.so
     /opt/java/javadoc/lang -> /opt/java-1.5/src/lang
                       jscience.jar -> /opt/jscience/jscience-3.3/doc/src.jar
     CLASSPATH=/opt/java/jar:.

Where do people place the jars and libs that come with the jvm?
Where do people place the jars and libs that come with other packages?
Where do people link the jars and libs for public access?
How do people make these jars and libs visible to netbeans projects?

Where are the above documented?

I am familiar with the File Hierarchy Standard v2.2 .
I have read the netbeans documentation,
but find that contrary to my understanding,
when I add libraries and source directories, jars, or files to netbeans
the additions are silently ignored.

Any help appreciated,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier