Hi Gihan,

My knowledge of WebSockets is very limited, so this immediately raises
a couple of other questions for me:

* According to the JIRA issue you created, you propose to use SOAP
over WebSockets. SOAP assumes that the transport protocol is message
oriented (in the sense that you can use the transport protocol to send
and/or receive discrete messages). WebSockets being stream-oriented,
you need something between SOAP and WebSocket. Is there an existing
standard for this?
* Obviously, in general your transport would be used on the server
side, while the client is a browser. Are there JavaScript frameworks
that support SOAP over WebSockets?
* WebSockets can indeed be used to push messages from the server to
the client. Any idea how this would be supported by the Axis2
architecture?

Regards,

Andreas

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Gihan Madushanka <gihang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thanks for your comment. I prepared following list of use cases and I will
> try to find more use cases.
>
> 1. As WebSocket protocol is based on full-duplex single connection above
> suggested new transport will reduce unnecessary network traffic and latency.
> Due to above advantages WebSocket transport will be a preferable choice for
> performance centric web service applications.
>
> 2. As far as i know existing Axis2 transports are not designed to support
> use cases like notification from server side. Another use case of this
> suggested new transport  is it can be used to develop a server side
> notification application. As an example after opening a connection client
> can wait to receive notifications from the server.
>
> 3. I don't have much knowledge about Apache Synapse project but it looks
> like suggested new transport can be used with Apache Synapse too. I found
> following page from Apache Camel web site
> (https://camel.apache.org/websocket.html) may be suggested new transport can
> be used to develop similar use cases.
>
> 4.  Additionally following two pages contain number of other advantages of
> WebSocket.
>
> https://www.websocket.org/quantum.html
> https://www.engineyard.com/articles/websocket
>
> Regards,
>
> Gihan
>

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Andreas Veithen
> <andreas.veit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think we should start with the basics, namely the question what
>> would be the use case for such a transport?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Gihan Madushanka <gihang...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm Gihan Madushanka  an undergraduate and also a participant of the
>> > GSoC
>> > 2013 programme. This year also I look forward  to participate this
>> > programme.  Few weeks ago I contacted a mentor and received few possible
>> > project ideas. Among them I like to implement the idea of WebSocket
>> > transport support for Axis2 as my project of this year.  I spent last
>> > few
>> > days to do the basic research and draft initial project proposal.
>> >
>> > According to my research I found that one of the following frameworks
>> > can be
>> > used to provide WebSocket transport support for Axis2 and these
>> > frameworks
>> > also can be further categorized into two types as annotation based and
>> > not-annotation based. I'm much thankfull if Axis2 developers can review
>> > and
>> > help me to identify best framework for my project.
>> >

>> > Annotation based frameworks
>> >
>> > https://github.com/Atmosphere/atmosphere
>> >
>> > https://tyrus.java.net/
>> >

>> > Non-annotation based framework
>> >
>> > https://github.com/TooTallNate/Java-WebSocket

> [...]

  • WebSock... Gihan Madushanka
    • Re... Sagara Gunathunga
      • ... Deepal Jayasinghe
        • ... Sagara Gunathunga
      • ... Gihan Madushanka
    • Re... Andreas Veithen
      • ... Yashwanth Rajaram -X (yrajaram - ZENSAR TECHNOLOGIES INC at Cisco)
        • ... Navinderjit Kahlon
        • ... Gihan Madushanka
      • ... Gihan Madushanka
        • ... Andreas Veithen