This is by design. To avoid the overhead of building a complete DOM
like representation of the message, Axis2 actually consumes the
message (more specifically the content of the SOAP Body element) when
converting it to a Java object. Once that is done, the original
message can no longer be serialized. In the fault case the situation
is different because Axis2 doesn't get to the point where it would
consume (part of) the message.

Andreas