"Supported" implies that a bug in that release could be fixed by a new
patch release (assuming it hasn't already been addressed in an
existing release). That is not the case because the last release from
the 1.6 branch was 1.6.4 and after that the branch became unmaintained
and eventually got deleted. Any fix would go into a 1.7.x release or
into 1.8.0, i.e. you would have to upgrade.

Andreas