>> 4) Roughly how large is the index file in comparison to the size of the
>> input files?
>
> It depends on whether you store fields or just index them, plus
> there is also a compression (gzip -9 equivalent) option.

As an example - index size numbers I saw: when indexing 1M docs of ~20KB of
very simple HTML, that is input size of ~19GB, and having only doc name
(URL) as a stored field, and no term vectors, index size was ~2.5GB. As
Otis said, this really depends on your settings which may be much different
from the above, but perhaps this would give you a feeling what you can
expect.