Hi

You can simply create a PrefixQuery. However, if you're using
StandardAnalyzer, and the word is added as Index.TOKENIZED,
sotf-wa<something> will be broken to 'soft' and 'wa<something>'. Therefore
you'll need to add the word as Index.UN_TOKENIZED, or use a different
Analyzer when you index the data (for this field at least).

Here's a sample code:

        // Indexing.
        Document doc = new Document();
        doc.add(new Field("field", "soft-wash", Store.NO, Index.UN_TOKENIZED
));

        Query q = new PrefixQuery(new Term("field", "soft-wa"));

Does that help?