On 09/10/2008 at 12:02 PM, Mck wrote:
> > > But this does not return the hits i want.
> >
> > Have you tried submitting the query without quotes? (That's where the
> > PhraseQuery likely comes from.)
>
> Yes. It does not work. It returns just the unigrams, again the same
> behaviour as mentioned earlier.
>
> Debugging ShingleFilter in this case it shows that no
> shingles are ever constructed. There are 3 separate tokens in the
> query and that's all.
>
> The ShingleFilter appears to only work, at least for me, on phrases.
> I would think this correct as each shingle is in fact a sub-phrase to
> the larger original phrase. Is that presumption correct?

ShingleFilter has nothing to do with phrase queries (other than the fact that
it can be used to replace them in some circumstances).

I'm not an expert on Solr query parsing, but there *must* be a way to submit a
query that is not turned into a phrase query.  Really.

And if you have configured an analyzer that includes a query-time filter, it
should be invoked, regardless of whether a phrase query is constructed.

Steve