That's pretty much exactly what I suspected was happening.  I've had the same
problem myself on another occasion... out of interest is there any way to
force the file closed without flushing?  From memory I tried everything I
could think of at the time but couldn't manage it.  Best I could do was
catch and swallow the expected exception from close and carry on.

So, the only option for us is to upgrade the version of lucene we're using
to the current trunk?  Is there no existing stable release version
containing the fix?  If not, when do you estimate the next stable release
with the fix will be available?

Thanks,
Regan