We've observed something that, in some ways, is not surprising.

If you take a set of documents that are close in 'score' to some query,

 and shuffle them in different orders

 and then see what results you get in what order from the reference query,

the scores will vary according to the insertion order.

I can't see any way to argue that it's wrong, but we find it
inconvenient when we are testing something and we want to multithread
the test to speed it up, thus making the insertion order
nondeterministic.

It occurred to me that perhaps you all have some similar concerns in
testing lucene itself, and might have some advice about how to get
around it, thus this email.

We currently observe this with 2.9.1 and 3.5.0.