Thats because there are 3 constructors in segmentreader:

1. one used for opening new (checks hasDeletions, only reads liveDocs if so)
2. one used for non-NRT reopen <-- problem one for you
3. one used for NRT reopen (takes a LiveDocs as a param, so no bug)

so personally i think you should be able to do this, we just have to
add the hasDeletions check to #2