From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 11:37 AM
To: java-user
Subject: Re: Any compatiblity issue in the upgrade from Lucene Core 3.2.0 to
Core 6.1.0?

Yes. Lucene only guarantees back-compatibility with
indexes for one major version. That is, a 4.x release can
read a 3.x Lucene index. But a 5.x will not read a 3.x.

So you have some options here:
1> re-index all your source in 6.x. This is probably easiest....
2> upgrade in stages, check out the IndexUpgradeTool.
Here's the doc for 4.x, which should the 3.x version.

I'll leave it to the people who know Lucene better than me
to opine about whether running the IndexUpgrader several
times in succession works well.

Best,
Erick