bq:  ...added separate StoredField fields to store the values ....

You're exactly right, those are two separate fields, how would Solr
(or Lucene) know they were related? There's no reason to have the
second stored field, you can return the value of a docValues field
even if stored="false", see the discussion about useDocValuesAsStored
in the reference guide. There's a discussion in the reference guide
for Solr 6.5, not sure what version you're using though.

Best,
Erick