Hello,

>From the thread linked there, its not clear to me the problem relates
to lucene (vs being e.g. a bug in netty, or too many threads, or
potentially many other problems).

Can you first try to determine to breakdown your problematic "RSS"
from the operating system? Maybe this helps determine if your issue is
with an anonymous mapping (ByteBuffer.allocateDirect) or file mapping
(FileChannel.map).

WIth recent kernels you can break down RSS with /proc/pid/XXX/status
(RssAnon vs RssFile vs RssShmem):

    http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/proc.5.html

If your kernel is old you may have to go through more trouble (summing
up stuff from smaps or whatever)