bq:  Is there a way to not write to disk continuously and only write the file...

Not if we're talking about the transaction log. The design is for the
transaction log in particular to continuously get updates flushed to
it, otherwise you could not replay the transaction log upon restart
and have any hope of not losing data.

And one other thing you want to be aware of: Having such long delays
between commits will mean that in the event of ungraceful shut-down
(pull the plug, kill -9 and the like) the _entire_ set if documents
sent since the last time you did a commit will be replayed from the
tlog before the replica accepts incoming requests.

As for <2> I haven't a clue.

Best,
Erick