Hi,

what's wrong with high CPU usage - nothing! It's just a sign that your index is
configured perfectly, so no I/O is happening during the search and everything
is done as fast as possible and therefore uses 100% of CPU on a single core. If
you want to slow it down, you may be able to do this outside of Lucene, e.g. in
the hypervisor of your virtual machine.

In general, people complaining about high CPU usage are also those that execute
the search (which is very fast) but then try to get ALL documents (possibly
millions) with paged searching (docs 0-99, then 100 to 199, and so on). This
produces high load and takes ages, because it has to decompress every document,
reexecute the whole query each time, and finally  produces lots of garbage by
allocating huge arrays, because paged searching is only optimized for getting
like "top 100" scoring documents, not millions.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen