Giving some guidance with Lucene APIs since the original question was about
Lucene: the APIs that you need to use are `IndexWriterConfig.setIndexSort`
to configure the index sort at index-time and then TopFieldCollector takes
a `boolean trackTotalHits` which you can set to `false` to tell Lucene to
automatically early terminate collection if the search sort order matches
the index sort order. The latter is only available since Lucene 7.2 so if
you are on an older release you will need to use
EarlyTerminatingSortingCollector instead.