Hi Tom and Erick,
Thank you a lot for your answers.

@Tom : Yes, we have considered MemoryIndex. But as far as I understood, we
will have to create a MemoryIndex that contains 1 single document every
time we will want to test our query against a document. I think we'll have
to perform some tests to be sure that this is efficient.
@Erick :
We use this piece of code to run the highlighter directly on a TokenStream
created from a text string (fieldTextValue) :

QueryScorer queryScorer = new QueryScorer(luceneQuery);
TokenStream stream = TokenSources.getTokenStream(fieldName, fieldTextValue,
analyzer);
Highlighter highlighter = new Highlighter(new SimpleHTMLFormatter(),
queryScorer);
TextFragment[] frag = highlighter.getBestTextFragments(stream,
fieldTextValue, true, 1000);

It seems to work pretty well for some queries, but I am afraid it works on
a kind of per-token basis and doesn't consider the context (I mean the
adjacent terms) to detect if a term is involved in the match or not.
The lucene explainer can totally address our needs, but as far as I know
it, it is not very efficient in term of performance. We will test it as
well.
We can combine Tom's suggestion about using MemoryIndex with the documents
and then run the explainer on this index.

Aurelien and Andrey
Tchiota GMBH