If it's hard to do in a single thread, how about timestamping the
events to insure that they happen in the expected order?

That would verify the sequencing is happening as you expect and
_still_ not see the expected docs...

Assuming it does fail, do you think you could reduce it to a
multi-threaded test case?

Best,
Erick