Atri, in the abstract it sounds like a great idea, but in practice it will
only be as good as the data that drives it. I think that to make this work
it would be a good idea to write up a proposal of some sort targeting
different open (or commercial, although I doubt you would get much of this)
source projects that use lucene-based search asking them to contribute
their data.

Also can we learn anything from the previous attempt? What did they try?
How can this effort about the same pitfalls?

Even with document and query  data, you still need some kind of relevance
ground truth, and this is notoriously difficult to get. Probably click
through stats are the most generic proxy for that.

So as a thought experiment, maybe contact Wikipedia and ask if they would
be willing to share some sample of queries and logs. Or did you have
another idea how to drive this? Then with one pilot participant, you could
maybe get others to join. I think if you have some commitments, or at least
serious expression of interest, from data providers, then you can start to
think about what to actually do with the data, but I would start there?