Hi Vincent,

Lucene has a hard limit of ~2.1 B documents in a single index; hopefully
you hit the ~50 - 100 GB limit well before that.

Otherwise it's very application dependent: how much latency can you
tolerate during searching, how fast are the underlying IO devices at random
and large sequential IO, the types of queries, etc.

Lucene should not require much additional RAM as the index gets larger --
much work has been done in recent years to move data structures off-heap.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com