On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:57:45 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review an almost trivial cleanup change, to eliminate the call to an
> ill-considered method in Utils, and then remove the method itself.
>
> Verified that there is no significant change in the generated docs as a
> result off the change. (Just changes in timestamp/version info).

I assume that all jdk.javadoc tests still pass and the JDK API Documentation
still builds, right?

src/jdk.javadoc/share/classes/jdk/javadoc/internal/doclets/toolkit/taglets/ValueTaglet.java
 line 123:

> 121:             return writer.valueTagOutput(field,
> 122:                 text,
> 123:                 field != holder);

Shouldn't we use this instead (as suggested by
`javax.lang.model.element.Element.equals`)?
Suggestion:

                !field.equals(holder));

That said, I still wonder where the original author saw _inaccuracies_ with
`equals`. Have you investigated how that comment came to be?

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/9149