Hello posse (of The Posse)!

I've been lately discussing about exception handling in Java with my
workmates. And I've noticed that there's some uncertainty about
Exceptions and how to use them. Currently we're working on a quite
traditional three-tier Spring+Hibernate web app (using way too much of
that disgusting null programming, but that's another story).

Personally I usually regard ... catch (Exception e) ... as a code smell
because it will catch - usually unintentionally - all RuntimeExceptions
too. Not to mention catching Throwable, like there was a lot we could do
with Errors. My current style is catching all checked exceptions on
their own blocks and catching RuntimeException on it's own block where
it makes sense (at least in controllers). But that sometimes makes the
code ugly with a dozen catch blocks doing exactly the same thing. AFAIK
Project Coin is going to fix this annoyance. Would it be better in a
situation where I anyways catch RuntimeException to use Exception as it
is the lowest common denominator?

How do you make the most out of your Exceptions? And how do you do it in
multi-tier architecture?

Best Regards,
Hannu