On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:10:28 +0300, Kustaa Nyholm

<kustaa.nyh...@planmeca.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> been lurking on this list for a few years now, I believe.

> Just spent a frustrating few hours in the list archives and

> googling the net to decide what to do.

> I'm about to write some code that will need to access

> a USB HID device. I mainly work on Mac and it seems

> that this will not be a big undertaking no matter how I

> do it. I can do it in C with the Mac OS IOKit but since

> essentially what I'm doing is not in anyway Mac specific

> it would make sense to write it to a cross platform USB API.

> And since Java is cross platform and I prefer to work

> with Java anyway, a Java USB API is what I would like to have.

> This is the very reason I've been lurking this list.

> My today's research produced pretty much similiar results as

> the once I've conducted in the past one or two years:

> there is no working cross platform USB API, not for C, not for Java,

> at least not one that has a future. A cross platform C API

> would be fine as it would be trivial to access that using JNA

> or JNI.

I can understand your frustration. I feel it myself as Javax.usb starting

out quite promising for Linux and the hope was that "someone else" (isn't

it always someone else?) would continue with other platforms. I personally

have very little knowledge in developing for Windows, I did start once, but

did not find a clear way of how to find devices. It seemed that I would

have to install a specific driver before hand for each vendor/device id. Of

course not a practical solution and there are probably other ways that I

just didn't find at the time.

I did recently get a Mac, and would probably be able to contribute some

time to help you.

I could of course be tainted by my previous efforts in javax.usb, but so

far it has been useful and fairly straight forward to use (if investing

some time in how USB works). I have suvvesfully written code for

communicating with mice, keyboards, sensors and video devices. Sadly, the

interesting video and sensor devices has died on me (do hardware rot?), so

some of my incentive has gone down.

Please tell me if start on this feat and I will contribute with what I can.

//Roger