Dan Streetman wrote:
> I'm still not sure if you really understand what is going on, since
> 10000000 does NOT convert to 128, since 10000000 is decimal, not
> binary.  But anyway since I have pointed out that ((byte)10000000)
> just happens to convert to 0x80, it "works" and I'll drop it (although
> it is definitely completely incorrect code).

I was trying to say that in the actual program, the '10000000' is
handled as a bit set, never as the decimal 1000000. The code I showed in
the earlier email did not properly reflect this, as I left out a few
lines. I just wrote (hasty as I was) '(byte)10000000)', which, as you
point out, is completely wrong of course.

 From the documentation I referred to earlier, I understood that for a
status report the value of bmRequestType should correspond to '10000000'
(again -not- the decimal, but the byte consisting of the listed bits,
each bit has a particular meaning, as documented in the USB standard).

I am sure my incorrect wording (e.g. 'convert') is causing all the
confusion, for which I apologize. I am not experienced at all with this
type of 'low-level' programming and terminology so this all is really a
steep learning curve.

> I don't understand what you are trying to say or do.

I refer to http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb6.htm (first yellow
table)

According to my interpretation, it says that a request (represented as
byte[] array) should begin with 8 byte long Setup Packet, followed by
the actual data.

In the code I showed, I did -not- include the 8 byte setup packet. I
simply create a byte array containing just the single byte (the command
byte), use the setData(...) of UbIrp, and get it sent to the device. I
incorrectly assumed that the required 8 byte long Setup Packet would be
inserted by the javax-usb implementation. I understand from your
response that this is NOT the case. Is my conclusion correct?

Again, I appreciate very much your feedback and your patience.

Thanks,
Andre