Bill Gallik wrote:
Hmmm, this thread is anathema to I who cannot upgrade to IE 7 because of the
version of Windows 2000 I have on my PC.  I must now go purchase a new PC
with the latest version of XP Pro and I look forward to "battling" with the
newer technology.

But Firefox doesn't need XP. JAWS 7.1 and 8 claim support for Windows
2000 and Mozilla Firefox. Before upgrading your entire system, you could
try Firefox 2.0 instead (if you haven't already).

A user's guide to Firefox 1.5 accessibility features can be found at:

http://www.mozilla.org/access/users

Note that the key sequence for web access keys changed to alt + shift+
key in Firefox 2:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/#issues

Questions about Firefox accessibility can be posed on IRC to the
#accessibility channel at irc.mozilla.org or the Mozilla accessibility
newsgroup (details at http://www.mozilla.org/access/#community ).

If you tried Firefox 2.0 and found it unsatisfactory, I'd be intrigued
to know why. While it may be different from what you're used to, the
same is true of Internet Explorer 7 as many experiences recounted on
this list testify.

Linux alternatives like Ubuntu and Oralux might extend the shelf life of
your existing PC. But if you do decide to purchase a new Windows PC, I'd
be tempted to wait for the release of Vista. Otherwise you'll have to
fork up yet again to upgrade Windows.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Users List" group.