This configuration has worked well for us.

Annette

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Gallik
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:11 PM
To: jaws-users-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Re: JAWS and two sound cards

Sherry,

I recommend you run all "other" sounds through the default sound card and
also set up an entry in the JFW.INI file to allow you to ask JAWS through
the secondary sound device.  I will include the pertinent entries in my
JFW.INI file because I think that will be more clear than the abstract
explanation as how to do this:

[Synthesizers]
Synth1Name=accentsa
Synth1LongName=Accent SA
Synth1Port=Com1:9600,n,8,1,x
Synth1Driver=accentsa
Synth2Name=eloq
Synth2LongName=Eloquence for JAWS
Synth2Driver=eloq
Synth3Name=eloqUSB
Synth3LongName=Eloquence via USB for JAWS Synth3Driver=eloq Synth3Port=USB
Audio Device

Note that the Synth#Driver=eloq entry for both the standard Eloquence and
via the secondary audio device are identical; this is because eloq is the
program that will run regardless of which device is in use.  Also note that
the Synth#Port for the entries deploying the secondary audio device is
utilized and should be the exact name identified from the "Audio" tab of the
Control-Panel/Sounds&Multi_media.  This will be identified from the
"Preferred Device" list and must match that list entry exactly.

The "Synth#Longname=__________" can be anything you like, but it would be
helpful if it reflects the synthesizer and indicates that it may be the
primary or secondary audio device -- this entry is where the list of
synthesizers comes from when going into the JAWS
Languages/Change-Synthesizer menu.

The "Synth#Name=______" entry is also quite open for whatever you like to
use, but remember that this value will be used in any JAWS shortcut that
will instruct JAWS which synthesizer to use.  For example, the "Start JAWS
with Eloquence" item in the JAWS sub-menu calls for JAWS to run with the
"/seloq" switch in force.  In other words, if you want to tell JAWS to run
with a specific synthsizer from launch you use the "/s" switch and the value
of the "Synth#Name=" entry for that particular synthesizer.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

HTH
Bill Gallik
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* * *
- "People want the front of the bus, the back of the church and the center
of attention."
- unknown (although I wish this were my own)