Dear Christine

I am sure that your predicament has struck a chord with many of us who have
been precisely in your position.  It is a good idea to learn Jaws now as
there is a learning curve but it will eventually be very liberating in a
difficult situation so stick with it as Jaws is very powerful though this
may not be obvious at first.

My own initial tips are:
-If you have not learnt to touch type do so now. Speed is not important but
navigating the keyboard without sight is.  I bought some tapes from RNIB in
UK to do this.
- Get some tactile keyboard bumps to help you locate control keys etc.
- Make a word document to make notes on useful tips and keyboard commands.
There are completed versions including ones available on the list website
but there is no substitute for keeping your own notes.
- Be patient - I have been using Jaws for over 2 years and I am still
learning.
- Get some training if you can but space this out and keep notes.
-Remember that learning windows commands are just as important as Jaws
commands and this can save you enormous amounts of time. I will give one
example.
I use Outlook to read the Jaws Users Digest. If you use Outlook the
following may be useful.

To avoid reading all the repeated original messages and myriad and long
"signatures" hit F4 for Find.
Type "Message:" - remember to include the colon in the find dialogue.
Hitting enter will jump you to the first message. Hit F4 and enter and you
will jump to the next message - repeat until you have read all the messages
in the Digest. This is far quicker than cursoring down or using say all. If
there are lots of digest emails I copy "Message:" to the clipboard so that I
can paste it in when I open find in the next email.

There are hundreds of little discoveries like this awaiting the new Jaws
User so keep with it. Reading this list will definitely help.

All the best

David Griffith