Hi Sugar,
Regarding general Windows sounds like the one played when Outlook ask for
permanently deletion of deleted items or the default beep which JAWS plays at
the top of a document, you may have system sounds muted.
In Windows 7, in the context menu for the volume icon, go to Open Volume Mixer
to open this utility. In the Volume Mixer window, tab to the Volume for System
Sounds slider and, in addition to check that the volume is in an audible level,
make sure the muting button which you can reach by tabbing once more is not
pressed. If this particular volume is muted, press the button to unmute it.
For some sounds made by Office programs, like the ones Outlook make when
sending or deleting messages or Word when saving or auto-correcting, you need
an add-on called Office Sounds which is not installed by default. To easily get
it, in Word, go to the File tab and then to the Help tab. In the Help tab, find
and activate the Options button.
In the Categories list box, go to Advanced and, using the TAB key, find and
check the Provide Feedback with Sound checkbox and press ENTER to save the
change. If the add-on is not installed, you'll get a prompt to go to the Office
website to download it.
In this website, you only have to follow the instructions to download the file
and then install it as any other program; when finished, the Sounds Control
Panel applet will have a new sounds category called Microsoft Office, which
will allow to customize Office sounds in sound schemes as any other Windows
sound. Unlike in other languages such as Spanish were the add-on was not
updated to be compatible with newer Office versions, you will not need to catch
the temporarily generated MSI nor modify the Registry to complete the
installation of the add-on in English. But even if you have a localized Office
installation, you can use the English add-on without any issue; the only
relevant difference is that names of Office sound events in the Sounds dialog
will be displayed in English.

Hope it helps.